If You Have to Cry, Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You

If You Have to Cry, Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You - Kelly Cutrone, Meredith Bryan I put myself on the library hold list for this one after sitting through an episode or two of The City. I thought Whitney Port was sweet and Kelly Cutrone was awesome. My hold came up today and, since there are more than a dozen people waiting behind me, I thought it only polite to drop my other reading and get to this one right away. As it turned out, I read it in one sitting. Cutrone's style (with co-writer Meredith Bryan) doesn't waste words. It fits closely to the character portrayed on The Hills and The City. (I say character because there's no doubt that the show is cut to emphasize personal traits and plotlines that are more ratings-worthy.) I was perhaps a little surprised (as Cutrone admits often happens) to discover that's she's very spiritual. In the end, I was impressed by her kick-ass-Goddess beliefs, which did much to explain the Mama Wolf persona with which she described her relationship with her employees. In truth, I wish I'd had a boss like Kelly when I was younger. Yes, she's a bitch, but in the best sense of the word. She's been through a lot, including addiction, two divorces, a couple breakdowns (or breakthroughs, as she would call them), an abortion and homelessness but she used all of that to toughen herself up and climb a little higher. She doesn't give or take any bullshit. While some of the content focusses on breaking into the fashion industry, Cutrone's advice could be well used by a lot of young women today. Don't let someone else's vision of your life dictate your choices. Find what it is that makes you truly passionate and then go after it. Find your tribe and, yes, fake it 'til you make it.