Sophie's World: A Novel about the History of Philosophy

Sophie's World: A Novel about the History of Philosophy - Jostein Gaarder, Paulette Møller Every novelist should read this book. It'll scare them out of their wits. As I read Sophie's World, I was suddenly assaulted with visions of my characters plotting against me -- and in more dire ways than not co-operating when I wish to write about them. Sophie's World is a book about philosophy. I never would have thought of a novel as a way to teach philosophy, but it works very well, for Gaarder (or would it be the major?) can make Sophie's life illustrate the very ideas she's studying, to the point that it can even descend into absurbist drama to illustrate Sartre's existentialism. (I'll be reading more about Sartre and Beauvoir, among others.) I've often wanted to study philosophy and didn't know whose writings to choose as a beginning -- and all the overviews I found were hopelessly dry -- until Gaarder's novel. Though he has by no means covered, or even mentioned, all the important philosophers, he's given me a place to begin. More than a book on philosophy, Sophie's World is also a book about books...books within books...books that appear within themselves, until the reader starts to wonder if he himself might be fictional after all, just a figment of some author's imagination. I can only say I hope my author is nicer to me than I'm being to my poor Jack. (I'm off to hide under the bed now.)