A Monstrous Regiment of Women: A Novel of Suspense Featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes

A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell, #2) - Laurie R. King Despite the fact that the newest Mary Russell, Pirate King is starting at me each time I sit at the cash desk, I'm glad I've gone back to the beginning of the series. I love the subtlety in these books. In Regiment, Russell is preparing a presentation of her studies, which involve investigating and documenting the images of the feminine aspect of God from the Bible and other early writings. It's not surprising that Russell never refers to God with a personal pronoun*. Juxtapose this with the fact that, in the latter half of the book, Russell refers to another character with a capitalized personal pronoun. Considering the power that "He" has over Russell at the time, he could indeed be considered God-like. "He" is also the reason that Russell misses her presentation on the femininity in God. The possibilities of interpretation are myriad, and a delight. I also enjoyed reading the text knowing that the next book is A Letter of Mary, which will continue to explore Russell's dual interesting in faith and logic.