Just Like Heaven

Just Like Heaven - Julia Quinn Long time readers of my reviews many know that over the last few of her books, I developed a bit of an annoyance with Julia Quinn. Despite this, each time a new book came out, I just had to read it. So no surprise that when my boss told me that Just Like Heaven featured the Smythe-Smiths, I sighed and asked her to put a copy on order for me. Julia, I'm so glad we stuck it out and I think we can make our relationship work again. Of course, there are still the anachronisms that slip by in every romance novel, but at last Quinn seems to have left behind her trope of having each hero and heroine live with a medical condition that is easily diagnosed/cured in our time but it stigmatized in theirs. The trouble was, the characters in question were never very stigmatized by it leaving the whole thing feeling disingenuous. That's not to say that Quinn abandoned the medical element that so many of her novels have, but this time, it's the much more believable trope of "life before penicillin/antibiotics" and a doctor who admits that his life's work is much more art than science. These changes, coupled with my favourite romance trope of childhood friends who fall in love, seem to have got me back on board with Quinn. I can look forward to her next book with much less trepidation. I am also terribly amused by the idea of a violinist who can't distinguish between waltz and common time, but she is, after all, a Smythe-Smith.