Think: Straight Talk for Women to Stay Smart in a Dumbed-Down World

Think: Straight Talk for Women to Stay Smart in a Dumbed-Down World - Lisa Bloom I picked up this book thinking that it would be a fun "preach it, sister!" read for me. Every now and then you need that. But lo and behold, I found Bloom was pretty often pointing a finger directly at me. Bloom's argument is basically this: as first world women, how dare we be unappreciative of our opportunities and education. They are hard-fought and there are many still fighting for them. There are girls who are in physical danger every time they set out to school to get the most basic of educations. Instead we North Americans wallow in celebrity-culture, caring more about whether Angelina Jolie has a "baby bump" and her supposed feud with Jennifer Aniston than about her work as a UN Ambassador and a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. The media says they need to do primarily fluff pieces, because that's what the public wants. Well, how about we start demanding something different? How about we seek out things that really make us think?That means changing some priorities, and Bloom has some great suggestions on how to carve out some time for yourself. What should you do with that time? Read Constantly and Read the Good Stuff. What should you do with that knowledge? Take Charge of Your Life. What should you do with that positive energy? Engage, Connect, take a Stand, Act. Bloom is not advocating giving up all celebrity gossip, she's just asking you to click-through to reuters.com before you head over to PerezHilton.com. My favourite piece of Bloom's advice is actually buried toward the back of the book as a sub-section, and that's the instruction to "cross-read". I love this term. Every now and then pick up a book that argues against your point of view, or a novel you wouldn't normally read. You might find your mind changes, or you might find your position more firm than it was before, but either way, you're exercising your mind.