The New New Rules: A Funny Look at How Everybody but Me Has Their Head Up Their Ass

The New New Rules: A Funny Look At How Everybody But Me Has Their Head Up Their Ass - Bill Maher Bill Maher's books have passed through the stores where I've worked, but I've never looked too closely at them. I don't have cable, so HBO's Real Time likewise never crossed my path. I actually discovered Bill Maher when he was a guest on The Rachel Maddow Show, which I watch sporadically in podcast form. I thought the man funny and his humour must have lingered in the back of my mind, because when I was looking for another audiobook, this one made its way into my library basket. Yeah, Maher's funny. As a person with some Scottish extraction in her, I must admit that the joke about bagpipes being a Scottish breathalyzer is up there with Mike Myers's joke that all Scottish cuisine is based on a dare. The trouble is, he's also arrogant and has a strong tendency to misogyny and a misfunctioning racism filter. For every two or three jokes that got me to laugh, there was one that gave me mental whiplash with its bad taste. Maher does admit that some of the things he mocked in his first book are now mainstream. We can only hope for his continued education.