Beneath a Silent Moon

Beneath a Silent Moon - Tracy Grant Tracy Grant has said on numerous occasions that she wrote Secrets of a Lady and Beneath a Silent Moon so they could be read in either order. In truth, as they say about the Narnia Chronicles, it's not the order in which they were written or the order in which they were published that matters. It's the order in which you think about them. This is how I feel about Grant's novels. I happened to discover them just as this volume was published. Having read Secrets of a Lady first (under its previous title Daughter of the Game), I admit to sharing the semi-general disappointment of not immediately having a sequel, but a prequel instead. Now, knowing that Vienna Waltz, another prequel, will be released in a mere two weeks (*squee*), I find that I am falling in love with the idea of a series-in-reverse.† There are people of my acquaintance, some of them even my bookstore co-workers, who loved Secrets/Daughter but will not read Silent Moon, insisting that they "already know all that part of the story". In a way this, speaks for the strength of Secrets/Daughter but also for the lack of imagination in said readers. I shake my head when I can't convince them that sometimes there are aspects of the past that can completely change one's view of the present. Several of my friends have brought about a change in my opinion of them (both for better, for worse and for infinitely-more-complicated) by telling me of their past. All of which leads me around to the reason I love Silent Moon, because it is, as Grant describes, a "Charles" book. I admit I might not have fallen head-first the story quite as recklessly without reading Secrets of a Lady first, but this was the book that made me fall irrevocably in love with Charles. Knowing more about what led him to be in the place he was in Secrets only made me think on the events of that book with even more fascination. All that aside, Silent Moon is an excellent mystery on its own, full of family dramas and political intrigues. Honoria Talbot, the girl Charles was once expected to marry, who is universally admired but nearly on-the-shelf, who is somehow the centre of a Revolutionary intrigue, has announced she will marry Charles's father. At the hastily arranged house party to celebrate the engagement, Honoria is found in Kenneth Fraser's bed -- strangled. †It was a series-in-reverse, until Grant announced that The Mask of Night, which takes place after Secrets of a Lady will be released as a Kindle eBook at about the same time as Vienna Waltz! *more squee!*