Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead - Brené Brown What could you accomplish if you knew that you were enough?We live in a society that is undercut by a false culture of scarcity.  There isn't enough money, enough power, enough love.  I'm not pretty/smart/athletic/whatever enough.  Women need to do it all and make it look effortless.  Men need to never, ever appear weak.Brené Brown is a researcher of vulnerability and shame, and through them connection, empathy and creativity.  We all experience some level of shame in our lives, and it keeps us from achieving our best and forming connections with each other.As Brown points out, there's a difference between guilt and shame.  Guilt is "you did a bad thing"; shame is "you're bad".   We have a false sense that public shaming "builds character" when in fact is does just the opposite, causing people to hide themselves away, to stop connecting, to stop the risks because there are no rewards for success, just punishments for failure.To avoid shame, we load ourselves up with armour.  Brown walks us through both why we need to try to shed that armour, and how to realize we're wearing it.In establishing shame-resilience in our homes, our workplaces and our society, we open  our world to creativity and change.  Better, we model these things for the next generation, helping them grow into strong, independent, connected individuals.In my previous post (at my blog) about this book, I mentioned giving my first reading of my fiction.   Ironically, I now think this example does represent Brown's book and theories, but from a perspective of what not to do.  I know if the reading had not gone the way it did, I would have pulled a shame-blanket around myself because I invest too much of my self-worth in my writing.   Not exactly well-rounded, but I'm working on that.Daring Greatly explains how shame-awareness and shame-resilience can transform our workplaces, homes, schools and society, opening the door to our real potential to meet the challenge of the book's title.This review also appears at Boxes of Paper.